![]() |
| Minalungao River, Nueva Ecija. |
If you are up for a quick and unique summer escape with a budget of a thousand or less and with only a whole day to spend, follow my adventure to Minalungao River National Park in Nueva Ecija.
You can drive for less than four
hours; or take the public transport for five or so hours. Take the earliest
trip bound to Gapan or at least the ones that would pass by Gapan town proper.
Hop into a jeepney ride to municipality of Gen. Tinio and talk to the driver to
drop you off at the jump off point to Minalungao. Take a contracted tricycle
that would bring you to the river. This is off road and usually, you have to
ask the driver to wait for you until the end of your adventure. So, again, I
would emphasize, make sure that your rent the tricycle including your return
trip to the town proper. Reason is that
no terminal for public transport in the area and if there are vehicles, either
they are rented already or private.
So, to the river! I don’t know
how familiar are you with rivers so I would try to describe a bit. Look at the
picture. As an additional info, this huge karst formation lining both sides of
the river is known to rivers stretching the sierra madre mountain ranges. And I
would highlight that this feature is one thing present in all the rivers
that I would be featuring this summer. Together with the greenish deep water,
these amazing rock formations are sure fancy catchers to visitors. Most
visitors would not only spend long hours on the water, but equally, taking
pictures on the enthralling rocky background. I myself cannot get enough of it,
even if I had visited this place quite a number of times already. Plus,
watching locals and visitors jumping off to the water from huge rocks can be
very fascinating and if you are up for adrenalin, join and take the plunge! Make sure you know how to swim because the
water is deep. If you don’t know how to swim, stay on the shallow parts.
One thing you also probably need to
know about swimming in fresh water, rivers like this, you have to expect a
certain smell of the water (minsan malansa, distinct to fresh waters, different
from the kind of lansa of sea water). Rivers like this which considerably can
still be called clean, have mosses on rocks and riverbed. So when you disturb the water, silt turns water to powderly white from the bottom. If you saw any, don’t
think that water is dirty because in fact, that is present in most of the
virgin rivers. Even underwater it is teeming with life: smallest of organisms,
the mosses that feed little fishes and all the creatures you don’t see with
your naked eyes. LOL
Aside from swimming, you can also
rent a bamboo raft good for small and large groups so you can stay on the water
and have your picnic there. As an alternative, you can camp and stay on
makeshift huts on the banks. There are few stores selling the basic of needs:
drinks, food and drinks. :D
On the east bank, you can hike a
hill. They already paved stairs, some hundreds of steps and at the summit, a
newly constructed huge cross known to pilgrims and curious tourists alike awaits.
And of course, a pleasant view of the river down and the stretch of mountains
from neighboring municipalities. Along the way to the summit, if you come with
a local guide, you can hear interesting stories of the place: the myth how the
tourists are often drowned in the river and or why there is a tomb of a Korean
national erected on one stiff cliff.
On the west bank, after crossing
the thrilling karst formation, you’ll find the mouth of a cave. Spelunking is
one activity most adventurers engage into. Make sure to bring sufficient supply
of water, especially if you decide to visit on summer time. Heat can be a
serious struggle.
Although I have a concern. My
idea of visiting places like this is to keep everything as close to its natural
state. I don’t mind if the road is rough really so long as a habal-habal can manage
to pass. I don’t mind if I eat dust while on the trike. I don’t mind slipping
and struggling on my way up while trekking, that is part of the activity. I
don’t mind if stores are lacking of goods or if there is no mobile network
reception. I don’t mind if we stay on makeshift huts. For me, it brings a lot
closer to the nature, to the feel I am seeking for an escape. Those struggles
if you call it are all part of the adventure and are the prize you have to pay
if you are really up for nature adventure. That is how nature adventure should be
because that is how nature is.
I am not against modernization
and little comfort but based on my observation after visiting quite many
places, our local governments struggle to balance between bringing comfort and
being responsible to nature. That is often my concern. Yes, we paved new
cemented roads but how the shoulders of mountains were tore down and trees were
cut, I don’t see effort to rehabilitate or at least compensate for the damage. Kaya
naman naturingang natural park ang sadya mo pero the road leading to, sobrang
init kasi halos wala nang nakatayong malalaking kahoy. Here you come to visit
a supposed virgin river (and a national park at that) but you can find concrete
house being constructed of what said to be an influential family’s property and
what’s worse, it is being constructed right close to the karst formations!
Remember how a boxing champ supposedly secured permit to construct pompous properly
in one DENR protected area in Boracay? I can only witness in dismay. You opt to
go to a nature trip and yet here you can find cable wires of newly installed
electric lines obstruct what can be considered the perfect view of the river
and the magnificent rock formations. Kala mo sa siyudad lang may photography
noise, nagkakamali ka.
These are just few of my observations, not only in Minalungao but I can say in general, to most of other local attractions in many remote places. We have more to learn (both the public officials implementing the law and as local administrators, and the visitors) on how to become more responsible and how to balance comfort as benefit of modernization and be willing to pay the prize in order to retain what natural beauty is left for us to enjoy.
These are just few of my observations, not only in Minalungao but I can say in general, to most of other local attractions in many remote places. We have more to learn (both the public officials implementing the law and as local administrators, and the visitors) on how to become more responsible and how to balance comfort as benefit of modernization and be willing to pay the prize in order to retain what natural beauty is left for us to enjoy.

5 comments:
Thought I was reading an Earth Awareness piece, ha,ha,ha. Kidding aside, the story of my river experience was in Gapan but of course, I do not even care where I was at that time. I wish I could see more of what nature has to offer rather then touristy trails of speed, comfort and quick visits. I have not been touring the country as I only have very few days in a year when I am there but I am sure through your blog and stories, I will be going on an adventure that is unique from travel magazines that I read. Your adventurous spirit is what will bring us to new places. Thanks a lot!
Ay talaga ba, earth awareness ba ang tone? LOL di naman pero being a nature lover, i can't help but to point out those things. Hahaha
I hope to visit more places so I can share more stories. Thank you for keeping tab on my updates!
Great! Love the sharings so keep on writing!
I LIKE nature especially the nature parks and natural spots in the Philippines. We have lots of beaches, and lakes, and rivers. and the sad part is, i do not know how to swim and i am so scared of going into the water always. But i still manage to enjoy it.
I guess hanggang pictures ko na nga lang talaga ma enjoy ang mga ito.
Indeed, we have plenty of many beautiful places. Ang sarap libutin lahat!!! LOL
Knowing how to swim does help but yes, you can still manage to enjoy the place. Sightseeing, or tampisaw lang sa gilid ganyan. Iba pa rin ang feel ng andun ang kaluluwa mo sa lugar mismo kesa sa nakikiemote ka lang sa pictures. :)
Post a Comment
talk to me: like fireflies to the moon.