| Madlum River |
Trekking, spelunking, cross the monkey bridge, dip into the cold water … these are the promises of Madlum river adventure in Bulacan. Since 2011, I bookmarked this activity and for whatever lame excuses, the plan only materialized last month.
I woke up late. Haha. I rushed to the terminal to catch the bus trip
to Bulacan. (There are plenty of available itineraries online that you can
refer to if you plan to do this activity.) After two hours, I was at the
junction where I need to take a tricycle. After a bumpy tricycle ride, I was
finally at the foot of the bridge crossing the Madlum river. That was the
starting point of my activities for that day.
At the other end of the bridge, the barangay official in-charged in
receiving visitors was waiting for me. I did not secure the necessary permits
prior to coming but since the process is not yet well-defined and that I am all
by myself, they allowed me to do my planned activities that day, promising to
secure permit next time I come. It was weekday and thus less visitors were
expected. I waited for a while for the official to get a tour guide because no
one was available the hour that I arrived. When the guide finally arrived, off
we started with our first activity: hike Mt. Gola.
Madlum adventure offers two mountains that you can hike. They are
relatively for beginners, ranked 2/9 by mountaineers. If you have time and your
physique can sustain, you can hike both mountains in one visit (3-4 hours).
Please also note that guide fee for each mountain is separate. (P600 if you
hike both, P300 each).
After Mt. Gola, we descend and took a short break at the river
before we decided to assault the next mountain: Mt. Manalmon. This is less
strenuous than the first mountain. On our way up, I asked the guide the story
behind the name “Manalmon” and gladly he told me the tale.
| view from the monolith of Mt. Manalmon |
Maria was curious why it
took Juan so long to return. So, she decided to look for him in the mountain.
She found Juan buried (half body) in a huge rock. She appealed to the forest
fairy. The fairy then told Maria that she can save Juan if she can produce 15
jars of freshly squeezed fruit juices. She then asked the help of townfolks to
produce the required volume but on the day she promised to deliver, she only
got 14.5 jars of fruit juices. She decided to fill up the last jar with water
from the river.
The fairy found out and was
enraged. Juan was then buried finally into the rock, for now what is said to be
the monolith at the summit. Maria, devastated for her loss, asked the fairy to
turn her into a bird so she can watch over her beloved Juan. The fairy granted
her wish. Later on, that bird was called Juanco ( she makes a sound like “Juan
ko, Juan ko” while hovering above the mountain). Such bird is said to be a
native to the area, which is near the Candaba swamp.
Because of that tale, the mountain was called Manlalamon, which
later on evolved to Manalmon.
The summit of two mountains offer view of the expanse of sierra
madre ranges and nearby mountains. Not far, Mt. Arayat is also visible. ( The
tour guide also told me one more interesting tale about Mt. Arayat and the
Candaba swamps but I’ll save it for another article, this entry is getting very
long already). The twin mountains are separated by the stretch of Madlum river
which is a sight to behold when you are at the summit. I had great time spent
at the monolith, taking 360 degrees video of the wonders my eyes can see. Breathtaking.
Although I had a short panic moment when fear of heights get the better of me
while attempting to reach the monolith, it did not spoil the fun. In fact, it
added to the thrill. I would bring my friends next time and set up a tent
at the summit. I think it is nice to spend overnight there.
After getting enough of the view, we descended and our next
activity: spelunking. There are two caves, the Madlum cave and Bayukbok cave. But since the activity would take around 3
more hours, I decided to skip one cave and opted to just see the opening of
Madlum cave. Madlum cave was once the refuge of revolutionaries, together with
the caves in Biak na Bato. There are still formations rich in minerals and crystals. I was told that the other cave is richer with calcite formations and that spelunking is more challenging and exciting. I will
reserve it for my next visit.
After that short activity inside Madlum cave, I have two more activities left: cross the monkey bridge at the river and dip into the water.
The day I was there, a group of Scout Rangers were setting up their
course for their scheduled training the following day (I was told Rangers often
conduct their exercizes there). Hiya
took the better of me. I don’t want to lousily cross the monkey bridge while
the Scout Rangers watch. Diyahe. Bright
orange pa naman ang shorts ko that day. Baka may sumipol e di ko mapigilan
lingunin. LOL. I rested shortly to relax my feet from trekking and afterwards,
dipped into the water. After less than an hour, I tidied up and settled my dues.
Luckily, there is an available tricycle that could bring me back to the main
highway so before the night sets in, I was already on the bus back to Manila.
Had I come much earlier, I could have completed all the activities.
The good thing though is that I have reason to go back.
NOTES:
1. If you go solo and would like to do all the activities, prepare a budget of P1500. Transpo is P700-P750. P800 for the fees (hiking and spelunking). Overnight rate is different. If you come in group, you can save on transpo because you can split the trike fare among yourselves. (P480 to and fro. This is special trip and thus seldom you’ll find other commuters whom you can share the trip with). You can also share the guide fee. (If you come in a group of 4, estimated budget is P700)
2. To avoid similar accident as reported a year ago (about a group of students drowned in the river), let us support the local tourism office to establish the process of securing permits a week before your target date of visit. This way, visitors are documented and local officials can prepare necessary arrangements in advance. For my case though, I contacted them a day before my visit. I went solo and so they accommodated me. The hassle was that, no tour guide was available because I did not provide enough time for them to prepare. Contact Boy Florencio (Municipal Tourism Officer) at rrboyflorencio@yahoo.com and 09053726148.
1. If you go solo and would like to do all the activities, prepare a budget of P1500. Transpo is P700-P750. P800 for the fees (hiking and spelunking). Overnight rate is different. If you come in group, you can save on transpo because you can split the trike fare among yourselves. (P480 to and fro. This is special trip and thus seldom you’ll find other commuters whom you can share the trip with). You can also share the guide fee. (If you come in a group of 4, estimated budget is P700)
2. To avoid similar accident as reported a year ago (about a group of students drowned in the river), let us support the local tourism office to establish the process of securing permits a week before your target date of visit. This way, visitors are documented and local officials can prepare necessary arrangements in advance. For my case though, I contacted them a day before my visit. I went solo and so they accommodated me. The hassle was that, no tour guide was available because I did not provide enough time for them to prepare. Contact Boy Florencio (Municipal Tourism Officer) at rrboyflorencio@yahoo.com and 09053726148.
3. The site is part of Biak-na-Bato National Park
under Pres. Proc. No. 401 of April 1989. This huge forested area covers the
municipalities of San Miguel and Dona Remedios Trinidad in Bulacan. Let us help
protect and preserve natural resources and its historical value. Let us help the organizers improve their
process by sharing few inputs you may have. Let us support local tourism, this
provides livelihood to our friends in areas like this where source of income
can be difficult.
2 comments:
I travel on my own but not in a way I need to climb this and that. You are so adventurous and without doubt, braver than brave. The narrations are so good that it looks like I was walking with you as well. And when I become so tired following you, you then inject humour as to your orange shorts and the whistle. I laughed because I remembered something, ha,ha,ha.
Also, it looked so sosyal when the tale of Manolmon was told as I was envisioning it being spoken in English with matching hand gestures.
Pardon if the narrative is very long and if at some point it becomes dragging. I just can't seem to cut my story shorter! I have too many stories to tell! Lol Thanks heaven that orange shorts saved you from boredom. Hahaha.
Oh. I was so amused listening that tale from the tour guide. His local accent (old Bulacan way) is amusing. It adds to the authenticity of the Manalmon story.
Post a Comment
talk to me: like fireflies to the moon.