Quote of the Month

August, 2013: lost in space- "...you are the one thing that keeps me smiling, that's why i'm always wishing hard for you. 'cause your light shines so bright, i don't feel no solitude. you are my first star at night, i'd be lost in space without you." - Lighthouse Family

Monday, April 4, 2016

lagalag

I hope you are familiar with the hit barkadahan tv show in the late 90s. Yes, si Rovic, Eds and company. Sila nga. (If you haven’t heard of it, look it up, educate yourself. :D )

I mentioned that show because I was particularly enamored to their setting in Pagsanjan. Tumatak sa akin yong duyan sa ilalim ng puno sa tabing-ilog. Epic yon. (When I had the chance to visit Pagsanjan Falls in 2009, I made sure to take a photo of that tree when we passed by that exact location. That time, the tree still stands.)

I grew up in the province and swimming on fresh waters (springs and streams) is a weekend thing. Lalo na kapag summer. We trek mountains and neighboring barrios to find new swimming destination. I miss that summer experience so much that even when I am here in Manila, I still enjoy visiting rivers.

I would be posting a series of articles detailing my summer escapes to different rivers. But mind you, all these adventures are no simple river swimming escape. All are action-packed: trek a mountain, caving, rock climbing and refreshing dip to fresh water.

Follow my upcoming posts and join in my adventures. Happy summer talaga!

9 comments:

jonathan said...

I'll go on with the ride as I also like rivers. When I was young and we visited my mum's province, I was swimming at the river when I heard a group of boys telling each other, "Lunurin natin, hindi marunong lumangoy ang mga taga Maynila!" And they pushed the banca to the middle of the water and I disappeared. To their dismay, I was already at the bank, smiling! Tang$&@&$€¥<! Ha,ha,ha!

Hi! I am LiLi! said...

90s barkadahan? Tabing Ilog? Never seen the series since I moved to America a year before it was aired. We had Dawson Creek though, but I still didn't watch that series.

I remember bathing in the river in my parents hometown too in Bohol during the summer. On some weekends, we'd go to Panglao, bring our home cooked lunch or dinner and just eat our meals there. I really miss that, and I truly wish that my kids enjoyed summers and weekends like what I had in the Philippines.

Pepe v2.0 said...

sir jo, LOL! Nangyayari nga yan. Ang mga pilyong locals pinagtitripab kapag alam na dayo ka. Haha. Pero yang mga ganyan lunod stories for dayo, hanggang ngayon meron pa ring mga kwento sa mga ilog na napuntahan ko. Mga engkanto daw. Locals still tell these stories to visitors, either as a warning or as a source of amusement. ;)

Pepe v2.0 said...

Yes. Tabing Ilog was the local version of Dawson's Creek.

I myself cannot imagine hometown stories without mentioning something about an afternoon swim or an early morning picnic at the river. :)

Your Regular Average Guy said...

I remember this show! (Which dates me. Hayai na. Haha.) I do not remember the stories/conflicts sa show na yon, pero oo nga, nakaka-miss bigla ang probinsya pag nakikita mo.

Nung una, nakakaasiwa as obvious na obvious na copied from Dawson's. It wasn't until later till the show took off on its own.

Also, my friends and I used to kid our little sisters re scriptwriters for this particular show being unimaginative. Nearly every other line begins with "Alam mo" (i.e., "Alam mo, Eds..." "Alam mo, Rovic..." "Alam mo, George..." Wahahahahaaha. Ang adik lang.

But still I watch, if only for the "back to the province feel". And also because di ka "in" sa Monday usapan sa school pag wala ka man lang ma contribute tungkol sa episode. Hahaha.

Great post. And thank you, for the nostalgia trip.

Pepe v2.0 said...

LOL I don't remember that "alam mo, eds..." "alam mo, rovic..." issue. Hahaha. What I remember is that Tabing Ilog is way better than it's rival show (and that no episode without crying scene for Eds. That highly effective pa-ate at pa-nanay acting ni Kaye Abad.)

And true, if you don't watch any of those competing shows, OP ka sa school come Monday. :D

Mr. Tripster said...

I went to Pagsanjan last year. Marvelous place especially the falls. the boat ride going to the falls is really fun. Pero putangina ang mga bangkero dun! Ang kakapal ng mukha pagdating sa "tip". I do understand that they could be in a difficult financial situation but to REQUIRE a tourist to give him a specific amount of money in a specific currency, ay nako, tangina with feelings talaga. Nakakasira sila ng mood.

Pepe v2.0 said...

Ay sinabi mo pa ang tungkol sa mga bangkerong yan. I have the same experience and it was really a big turn off. I always warn my friends when they ask me about Pagsanjan adventure. It is really a shame.

Your Regular Average Guy said...

Oh? Then it might be that rival show I'm remembering, hahaha. They seem to melt into each other in the silly old brain.

Pahabol: I have always thought the John Lloyd-Kaye Abad pairing would go places. Then came Katrina Argos (Bea Alonzo). Hayun. Waley.

Hahahaha.

Post a Comment

talk to me: like fireflies to the moon.