Quote of the Month

August, 2013: lost in space- "...you are the one thing that keeps me smiling, that's why i'm always wishing hard for you. 'cause your light shines so bright, i don't feel no solitude. you are my first star at night, i'd be lost in space without you." - Lighthouse Family

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

potipot

Potipot Island, Zambales


That was Thursday, 3rd week of January and my last day at work. I’ve been looking forward to taking long vacation, spending at least two months of road trips and care free travel adventures. And so, after logging out at work, I dragged one of my office buddies with me and off we headed to the nearest bus terminal to meet another friend who will join us in the midnight trip to Zambales.

And so my 2016 travel diary officially started.

I was so thrilled. We were commuting and you can just make so many stories from simply sitting on the bus terminal waiting for the bus to leave, from starting up small conversation with your stranger seatmate, to watching people from the window as you pass by different towns and many more interesting sites that catches one’s fleeting attention while the bus is on the road. After eight hours of half-sleeping, half-watching everything eyes can see while on the trip, after two bus rides, one tricycle and a short boat ride, we arrived in Potipot island.

Potipot is perfect for backpackers and campers. No electricity, no sari-sari store for immediate needs. Only the island, its entirety: the sand, the waves, the sun, the sunset, the moon, for you to enjoy. Either you are there or you are not there.

So, before heading to the island, we passed by the nearest market to have our breakfast. And since we don’t have plan of cooking our meals, we bought cooked food for our lunch and canned goods for the rest of our overnight stay in the island. We also bought one lamp that we could use at night. We contracted a trike driver to bring us to the jump off point. It is also from him we rented a tent.  After paying the fee to enter the island, off we crossed the water. 

It was a very short boat ride. We set up our tent under the shade of one healthy tree, changed to our swimwear and ran to the water! We forgot the rest of the world and built our own universe in that island. We enjoyed the heat of the afternoon sun. And since it was only Friday, the visitors were few and thus much enjoyable and perfect for our silent escape. We played selfies and #footahshoots. LOL.  We attempted taking videos as most of you guys probably do. I am not really a fan but since we were crazy at that moment, I care not being foolish. LOL. That was one fun afternoon exploiting ourselves on the beach and frolicking under the January sun.

After burning our shoulders and foreheads under the sun, off we chilled at the west side of the island. (Yes, Potipot is a tiny island you can stroll round the entire island in 30 minutes or less). We had some silent moments watching the orange sky until the sun faded to night. As the night was setting in, weekend campers started to arrive. The moon was so bright that night. We almost didn’t use the lamp. The moon itself was so bright it illuminated on the water and on tree tops. We had our simple dinner (the ones we bought at the market). In between, our laughter breaks the silence on that island. 

Nightcrawlers that we are, we have the rest of the night to spend. And what else would best to accompany us? Alak. :D We did not get drunk heavily to keep us sane and avoid unnecessary threesome. Hahaha.  The last memory was that we playfully lay on the sand and watched the moon. Our conversation became hushed and slowly drifted into the water. Potipot was witness to a crazy afternoon. We ended the day contented.

The following day, we were greeted by the warm sun and inviting water outside the tent. We were all literally craving for morning coffee but in vain. :D We also realized we ran out of food! Good thing there was a taho vendor! Nagpakalunod kami sa taho for breakfast. After dipping into the water once more, and after few more #footahshoots, off we prepared to leave the island. At this point, weekend campers are starting to arrive.

We were bound to another destination. 

NOTES:
1. This trip was not my first time in Potipot. I’ve been there some 10 years ago. The memories of the place was so different that seeing it again was like a nice recollection of treasured memories. On both occasions, I had great fun. 

2. If you plan for a silent escape, less crowded and noise, visit the island on a weekday. It can get crowded on a weekend. I am a solo traveler as well and I see this place one very accessible escape destination from Manila. Doing solo trip here is safe and hassle-free. Prepare a budget of 2K. Can get lower if you keep on basics and if you travel with friends so you can share cost. (Side trip to other beaches in Zambales is suggested if you have more time.)

3. This place is perfect for campers. Bring your tent with you if you have so you can save cost for renting one. It can get pricey depending on the size. There are also huts available for rent that can accommodate large groups.

4. Prepare to bring your own food. You can also cook your own food while on the island. There are plenty of grilling stations. But if you plan to bring cooked food, bring enough to cover your needs the entire stay.

5. No electricity so bring your own source of light if you will stay overnight. Also, I suggest you check the full moon schedule. Moon can make your overnight stay more enjoyable. 

6. CR is available for shower and many other things you might probably have in mind. Charot. LOL

7. This is not a travel guide or sort. I want to keep the stories personal and less technical. But if you have any inquiry on how to plan for your trip on this destination, I can help you with it. I mostly do my trips DIY. I can also join you if I am free and if you invite me. I wouldn’t be a burden I promise. :D

10 comments:

jonathan said...

The post reeks of so much fun and laughter and it is infectious. With your story telling, I feel I am riding the bus with you, swimming, watching sunsets, eating and sleeping, so foursome nah. And taho, for goodness sake, how I miss thee. I remember visiting an is,and in Coron last year and I was quite hungry when lo and behold, a banana-q ( oh why it is called banana-q I don't know) vendor via boat came, yum! Anyway, will be reading more to plan something like this when time allows me to backpack once again and be away from everyone. And sige, sama ka, lol!

Pareng Cyron said...

ililista ko ito sa akin pupuntahan.

yccos said...

I've been wanting to get drunk at this island but in my 3 times of visit here, hindi ko pa nagawa!! Arghh..... I particularly like the feel of waking up early in the morning and the first thing you hear is the waves of the sea hitting the shore.

Sir Jo, you can go and stay at the mainland for the night if you wanna visit this place, it's just around 5-10 minutes boatride. It's really a beauty!

Ela Maria said...

Great experience indeed. I've never been to any beach in the Philippines. Mom is strict so I wasn't allowed to go anywhere. Hahaha! Looking forward to visit this place. I wish they could maintain the cleanliness of this beach.

Pepe v2.0 said...

jonathan, indeed, that was a very fun escapade! The laughter and kaharutan are still very fresh in my memory. Natatawa pa rin ako hanggang ngayon. Kung naging foursome tayo, mas masaya siguro. LOL

And you are right about bananacue. Simple treats like that make out own trips even more unique.

Go and include this on your next trip. You would like it here.

Pepe v2.0 said...

Pareng Cyron,salamat sa pagbisita. Wag nanf lista lista pa, punta na agad! Hehe

Pepe v2.0 said...

yccos! Too bad for you! Hahaha. One good thing about magpakalasing dito e yong feeling na sarili mo naman ang lugar kaya ok lang magwala at magpakalasing. Kakaiba ring experience yon. Haha. Pero naiisip ko, yon ngang di kami lasing e kung anu-ano na ginawa namin, naiimagine ko kung anong level ng gulo ang mangyayari kung nagpakalango kami. Riot siguro. Hahaha

And yes, iconvince mo si jo na pumunta dito. Hehe

Pepe v2.0 said...

Ela Maria, you haven't been to any beach in Philippines? Really?? Oh well you are missing a lot my dear. Hehe. Convince mommy to bring you to a beach then. :)

Your Regular Average Guy said...

I grow more interested upon mention of "moonlight". May ibang hatak ang dagat kapag may moonlight moonlight na ganyan.

Great post. Informative, and funny. Lalo na yung ubos na ang food tas "lunod kami sa taho". Can imagine.

Pepe v2.0 said...

Erik, yang moonlight na moonlight na ganyan ang rason kung bakit baliw level ang mga trip namin nun. LOL

At yong gutom in the morning? I tell you, the struggle was real. Si Kuyang nagtitinda ng taho, naubos na ang kwento tungkol sa pamilya nya pero kami di pa rin tapos sa taho nya.

At eto pa, magkakaiba kami ng trip sa taho ha. Yong isa, dagdag arnibal, walang sago. Yong isa, dagdag sago, durog ang taho. At ako, bawas arnibal, malalaking tipak ng taho, konting sago. Hahaha. Nung una nalilito pa siya pero nung huli, namemorize na nya! Clap clap di ba? :D

Post a Comment

talk to me: like fireflies to the moon.